Tuesday, August 3, 2010

last year's seven lakes tour



With my friend Joe and student RC, I joined a guided tour to the 7 lakes of San Pablo, Laguna. The lakes are actually maars, broad, low-relief volcanic craters that are caused by phreatomagmatic eruptions (i.e., groundwater coming into contact with hot lava or magma)*. The lakes (according to the order of visit we made) are Sampaloc Lake, Bunot Lake, Calibato Lake, Pandin Lake, Yambao Lake, Mohicap Lake and Palakpakin Lake. Each lake has its own charm, with Mohicap (for me), the most picturesque of the seven (pictures courtesy of RC). The most difficult to access were the twin lakes of Pandin and Yambo, which required at least 2 hours of hiking (just ask my student what happened to her).

This year, i am planning to bring my students to the 7 lakes of San Pablo as part of their Geology 1 fieldtrip. We are now in the planning stage and will be able to finalize the itinerary by this week. I hope the students will enjoy these geologic wonders not everyone will be able to see during their lifetime.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maar

No comments: